William Macmichael. A new edition, with an Introduction and Annotations by George C. London: Henry Kimpton, Reprints and Permissions.
- Navigation menu.
- Cane (New Edition);
- Principles of Administrative Law.
The Gold-Headed Cane. Nature , doi Download citation. By submitting a comment you agree to abide by our Terms and Community Guidelines.
If you find something abusive or that does not comply with our terms or guidelines please flag it as inappropriate. Advanced search. Skip to main content.
- The Little Book That Can Change Your Life: Simple steps to creating the life of your dreams;
- Color: A Secret Language Revealed;
- Soul Exposed Volume 4:Inner Guidance Facts Self Literacy and “Effectance”;
- Code Marmelade - Ein Politkrimi aus Deutschland: Fiktion in Fetzendramaturgie (German Edition).
- Advanced Information Technology in Education: 126 (Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing).
- Special order items.
Subscribe Search My Account Login. Access through your institution.
- Just Like The Jetsons.
- Re-Designing Learning Contexts: Technology-Rich, Learner-Centred Ecologies (Foundations and Futures of Education);
- Deterrence and First-Strike Stability in Space: A Preliminary Assessment (Rand Corporation Monograph).
- Article metrics.
- Carl von Siemens: 1829-1906 (German Edition).
- Saving Summer?
Buy or subscribe. Change institution. Rent or Buy article Get time limited or full article access on ReadCube. Census records, draft cards, and personal correspondence show a man who at times claimed to be white and, at others, Black.
His maternal grandfather was the esteemed P. After a few failed attempts at college, Toomer arrived in New York City in the summer of , like many people since, with a vague aspiration to be a writer. Toomer stood out in New York as someone who was able to successfully co-mingle with the white bohemians of Greenwich Village as well as with the Black artists, writers, and musicians of Harlem.
In New York, Toomer lacked inspiration and eventually money.
Scholars Say Chronicler of Black Life Passed for White
Though he was just there for a few months, the experience would end up being the most crucial artistic juncture of his professional life. The dream, however, that mixed-race children can provide some sort of solution to our racial divisions persists. It was at one of these lectures where the poet Langston Hughes first encountered Toomer, an experience Hughes later wrote about in his autobiography The Big Sea.